Thursday 21 July 2011

Why you should abandon Smileys

Did you ever in your life receive a message with smileys?

If you are reading this here you are most probably somehow interested in business, as I am, and for sure that situation has happened to you:

"Hey could we postpone the meeting from 12.00 to 13.00h? SMILEY"

Not that I am lacking a certain flexibility towards nice intentions to cheer me up (even though I am German, 8 years in Spain soft-wash your judgement skills sometimes...) but honestly: I am at work, do you think it's fun? Do I look like I need some yellow dot with a face to do and love my job?

Anyways: What has a smiley to do in a business mail? For what the smiley, for good karma? For favouring a potential positive outcome? They want me to change opinion based on a little yellow round face? Want to introduce the "Like" button in business mails? What if my boss sees that I am a smiley-guy? Will I get to do the next important negotiation?

Don't misunderstand me, I believe communication between the lines is important, but do we have to drag the topic back to kindergarten?

"Please, please mom buy me some more candy, smiley!" will probably work for a misunderstood working relationship and kids below the age of 15, but one thing for sure: It should never be replied or influence decision making in business.

Ridiculous topic? not at all: Can you imagine that I evaluate business proposals and outsourcing decisions based on the amount of smileys I find in there? Hilarious, there are a rough 40% of companies in India, Pakistan, you name it for IT outsourcing, replying with fat round smileys in every 2nd sentence....Please do me a favour, do not work with these people...it's just like perfuming your CV and writing on your coverletter that you like people, but have no idea about business whatsoever . It's embarrassing.

Sorry for all of you who feel insulted, but these are my criteria and I am free to work by them. Especially men: Please don't, you lose credibility and fall into baby-talk category. Not only in business, I know no girl that would take you for serious if you use these things all over the place.

Please feel free to prove me wrong on this one...biz is biz, no hugging contest. It's fun like this, you don't need that stuff. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment